Matsui and colleagues are to be congratulated for their study entitled ‘Application of Adult Prehospital Resuscitation Rules to Pediatric Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest’.[Matsui et al Resuscitation 2023] As the title suggests, the authors applied adult basic and advanced life support (BLS and ALS) termination of resuscitation rules (TOR) to a large national database of pediatric out of hospital cardiac arrests (OHCA) episodes. The study’s findings suggest that properly applied BLS TOR predict death and poor neurological outcomes and may protect patients from survival with poor quality of life.
Abbreviations:TOR (Termination of Resuscitation), BLS (Basic Life Support), ALS (Advanced Life Support), OHCA (Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest), PCPC (Pediatric Cerebral Performance Category), THAPCA (Therapeutic Hypothermia After out of hospital Pediatric Cardiac Arrest), VABS (Vineland Adaptive Behavioral Scale)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Resuscitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2022 update: A Report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2022; 145https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000001052
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of termination-of-resuscitation rules for patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2022; 180: 45-51
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1898-1908https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1411480
Published online: January 27, 2023
Accepted: January 18, 2023
Received in revised form: January 14, 2023
Received: January 2, 2023
© 2023 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.