Abbreviations:POHCA (Poisoning-induced out-of-hospital cardiac arrest), OHCA (Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest), ROSC (Return of spontaneous circulation), EMS (Emergency medical service), CPC (Cerebral Performance Category), IQR (Interquartile range), CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation), Vf (Ventricular fibrillation), pVT (Pulseless ventricular tachycardia), PEA (Pulseless electroactivity), PS (Propensity score), ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of Cardiac Arrest in Young Adults.Ann Emerg Med. 1992; 21: 1102-1106https://doi.org/10.1016/s0196-0644(05)80651-1
- Regional incidence and outcomes of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest associated with overdose.Resuscitation. 2016; 99: 13-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2015.11.010
- Resuscitation characteristics and outcomes of suspected drug overdose-related out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2014; 85: 1375-1379https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2014.05.036
- Trends in overdose-related out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Arizona.Resuscitation. 2019; 134: 122-126https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2018.10.019
- Nationwide population-based study of poisoning-induced out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in South Korea.BMJ Open. 2022; 12: e060378
- The higher chance of survival in patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is attributed to poisoning.Resuscitation. 2022; 175: 96-104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2022.03.009
Drug overdose deaths in the U.S. Top 100,000 annually, 2021. (accessed June 15 2022). (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2021/20211117.htm).
- Epidemiology and outcomes of poisoning-induced out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2012; 83: 51-57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2011.07.005
- Poisoning-induced out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and outcomes according to poisoning agent.J Korean Med Sci. 2017; 32: 2042-2050https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2017.32.12.2042
- Intoxication-related fatalities in northern Germany.Eur J Intern Med. 2006; 17: 474-478https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2006.04.009
- European Resuscitation Council Guidelines 2021: Cardiac arrest under special circumstances.Resuscitation. 2021; 161: 152-219https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2021.02.011
- Full recovery after prolonged resuscitation from cardiac arrest due to propafenone intoxication: a case report.Med (Baltim). 2018; 97: e0285
- Use of lipid emulsion in the resuscitation of a patient with prolonged cardiovascular collapse after overdose of bupropion and lamotrigine.Ann Emerg Med. 2008; 51: 415.e1https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2007.06.004
- Complete recovery from prolonged cardiac arrest following self-administration of cisatracurium.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2005; 22: 73-75https://doi.org/10.1017/s0265021505250147
- Cardiac arrest and cardiopulmonary resuscitation outcome reports: update and simplification of the Utstein templates for resuscitation registries: a statement for healthcare professionals from a task force of the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (American Heart Association, European Resuscitation Council, Australian Resuscitation Council, New Zealand Resuscitation Council, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, InterAmerican Heart Foundation, Resuscitation Councils of Southern Africa).Circulation. 2004; 110: 3385-3397https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000147236.85306.15
- Nationwide public-access defibrillation in Japan.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 994-1004https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0906644
- Association of bystander interventions with neurologically intact survival among patients with bystander-witnessed out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Japan.JAMA. 2015; 314: 247-254https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.8068
- Does time of day influences outcome in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients?: A meta-analysis of cohort studies.Med (Baltim). 2020; 99: e22290
- Introduction to matching in case-control and cohort studies.Annals Clin Epidemiol. 2022; 4: 33-40
- Using the standardized difference to compare the prevalence of a binary variable between two groups in observational research.Commun Stat Simul Comput. 2009; 38: 1228-1234https://doi.org/10.1080/03610910902859574
- A comparison of the universal TOR Guideline to the absence of prehospital ROSC and duration of resuscitation in predicting futility from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2017; 111: 96-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2016.11.021
White paper on fire service; n.d. International Fire Service Information Center. (accessed June 19, 2022). (https://www.kaigai-shobo.jp/fireserviceinjapan).
- Differential outcomes following successful resuscitation in cardiac arrest due to drug overdose.Resuscitation. 2019; 139: 9-16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2019.04.004
Demographic survey/statistics, Cause of death(three-digit basic classification), number and percentage of deaths by sex and year. e-Stat Portal Site of Official Statistics of Japan n.d. (accessed June 14, 2022) (https://www.e-stat.go.jp/dbview?sid=0003411679).
- Review and outcome of prolonged cardiopulmonary resuscitation.Crit Care Res Pract. 2016; 2016: 7384649https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7384649