|Region||AED registry||Source of closure status information||Closure information|
|Alberta||Alberta Public Access to Defibrillation Program|
AED map & site listing.
|Province of Alberta||Government office closures|
COVID-19: temporary office closures.
|Province of Alberta||List of restricted and non-restricted services|
|British Columbia||BC Public Access to Defibrillation Program|
BC — public access to defibrillation — find an AED.
|Province of British Columbia||Government services affected by COVID-19|
Government services affected by COVID-19.
|Province of British Columbia||List of COVID-19 essential services|
List of COVID-19 essential services.
|Nova Scotia||EHS Provincial AED Registry|
EHS Nova Scotia volunteer AED map.
|Province of Nova Scotia||Closures, cancellations and service changes|
Closures, cancellations and service changes.
|Province of Nova Scotia||COVID-19: what it means for Nova Scotians|
COVID-19: what it means for Nova Scotians.
|Mississauga||Automated External Defibrillator – City Facilities – City of Mississauga|
Automated external defibrillator — city facilities. Mississauga Data.
|Province of Ontario||List of essential workplaces|
List of essential workplaces.
|Region of Peel||Services and facilities temporarily affected in Peel|
Services and facilities temporarily affected in Peel.
|City of Mississauga||Facility closures and reopenings|
Facility closures and reopenings.
|Toronto||Automatic External Defibrillators (AED) Locations – Open Data Toronto|
Automatic external defibrillators (AED) locations. City Toronto Open Data Portal.
|Province of Ontario||List of essential workplaces|
List of essential workplaces.
|City of Toronto||COVID-19: changes to city services|
COVID-19: changes to city services.
|Location category and type||Example Locations|
|Grocery and Pharmacy||Grocery stores, markets, convenience stores (including those at gas stations), pharmacies, drugstores|
|Parks||National parks, provincial parks, municipal parks, park amenities, park buildings|
|Residential||Homes, apartment complexes, condominiums|
|Retail and Recreation|
|Arenas/Venues||Multi-purpose arenas, convention halls, concert venues|
|Attractions||Museums, art centers, science centers, casinos|
|Community Centers||Community centers, public libraries|
|Food and Beverage||Restaurants|
|Outdoor Recreational Facilities||Golf courses, marinas, beaches|
|Places of Worship||Churches, temples, mosques, synagogues|
|Recreation/Sports Facilities||Recreation centers, sports fields, fitness centers, ice rinks, aquatic centers|
|Transit Stations||Transit stations, transit maintenance yards|
|Accommodation||Hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts|
|Associations/NGOs||Associations, union offices, non-profit organizations|
|Banks||Banks, credit unions|
|Educational Institutions||Elementary/secondary schools, colleges, universities, private schools|
|Essential Medical||Hospitals, healthcare centers, walk-in clinics|
|Government Offices||Federal/provincial/municipal offices, city/town halls|
|Municipal Services||Power/water/waste management sites, maintenance vehicle yards|
|Non-Essential Medical||Dental offices, physiotherapy offices, immunization clinics|
|Private Businesses||For-profit businesses, office towers, car dealerships|
|Social Services||Child services, food banks, homeless shelters|
|AEDs||Change in Traffic Levels, %|
|Location category and type||Total, No.||Unaffected, No. (%)||Partially Inaccessible, No. (%)||Completely Inaccessible, No. (%)|
|Grocery and Pharmacy||173||0 (0.0)||173 (100.0)||0 (0.0)||−18.0|
|Parks||141||0 (0.0)||0 (0.0)||141 (100.0)||−10.5|
|Residential||85||85 (100.0)||0 (0.0)||0 (0.0)||+20.0|
|Retail and Recreation||1539||0 (0.0)||16 (1.0)||1523 (99.0)||−48.0|
|Food and Beverage||16||0||16||0|
|Places of Worship||77||0||0||77|
|Outdoor Recreation Facilities||62||0||0||62|
|Transit Stations||277||277 (100.0)||0 (0.0)||0 (0.0)||−63.0|
|Workplaces||3633||300 (8.3)||909 (25.0)||2424 (66.7)||−52.5|
|Essential Medical Facilities||300||300||0||0|
|Non-Essential Medical Facilities||81||0||81||0|
|Total||5848||662 (11.3)||1098 (18.8)||4088 (69.9)||N/A|
Sources of funding
Conflict of interest statement
CRediT authorship contribution statement
- Public-access defibrillation and survival after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 637-646
- Survival after application of automatic external defibrillators before arrival of the emergency medical system. Evaluation in the resuscitation outcomes consortium population of 21 million.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1713-1720
- Improved survival after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and use of automated external defibrillators.Circulation. 2014; 130: 1868-1875
- Automated external defibrillators inaccessible to more than half of nearby cardiac arrests in public locations during evening, nighttime, and weekends.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2224-2231
- Overcoming spatial and temporal barriers to public access defibrillators via optimization.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 836-845
- Ranking businesses and municipal locations by spatiotemporal cardiac arrest risk to guide public defibrillator placement.Circulation. 2017; 135: 1104-1119
- Underutilisation of public access defibrillation is related to retrieval distance and time-dependent availability.Heart. 2018; 104: 1339-1343
- Automated external defibrillator accessibility is crucial for bystander defibrillation and survival: a registry-based study.Resuscitation. 2019; 136: 30-37
- COVID-19 community mobility reports.([Cited 2020 May 2]; Available from:)2020
- Community mobility reports help: understand the data.([Cited 2020 October 28]; Available from:)2020
- The availability, condition and employability of automated external defibrillators in large city centres in the Netherlands.Resuscitation. 2014; 85: 1324-1329
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival improving over time: results from the resuscitation outcomes consortium (ROC).Resuscitation. 2015; 91: 108-115
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest during the Covid-19 outbreak in Italy.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 496-498
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest during the COVID-19 pandemic in Paris, France: a population-based, observational study.Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5: e437-e443
- Mobile-phone dispatch of laypersons for CPR in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2316-2325
- A smartphone application for dispatch of lay responders to out-of-hospital cardiac arrests.Resuscitation. 2018; 126: 160-165
- Optimizing a drone network to deliver automated external defibrillators.Circulation. 2017; 135: 2454-2465
- Time to delivery of an automated external defibrillator using a drone for simulated out-of-hospital cardiac arrests vs emergency medical services.J Am Med Assoc. 2017; 317: 2332-2334
- Improving access to automated external defibrillators in rural and remote settings: a drone delivery feasibility Study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e016687
- AED map & site listing.([Cited 2020 May 2]; Available from:)2020
- COVID-19: temporary office closures.([Cited 2020 May 10]; Available from:)2020
- Restricted and Non-Restricted Services.2020 ([Cited 2020 May 10]; Available from: https://www.alberta.ca/restricted-and-non-restricted-services.aspx)
- BC — public access to defibrillation — find an AED.([Cited 2020 May 2]; Available from:)2020
- Government services affected by COVID-19.([Cited 2020 May 7]; Available from:)2020https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/covid-19-services-changes
- List of COVID-19 essential services.([Cited 2020 May 8]; Available from:)2020https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/essential-services-covid-19
- EHS Nova Scotia volunteer AED map.([Cited 2020 May 2]; Available from:)2020
- Closures, cancellations and service changes.([Cited 2020 May 9]; Available from:)2020
- COVID-19: what it means for Nova Scotians.([Cited 2020 May 9]; Available from:)2020
- Automated external defibrillator — city facilities. Mississauga Data.([Cited 2020 May 2]; Available from:)2019
- List of essential workplaces.([Cited 2020 May 8]; Available from:)2020
- Services and facilities temporarily affected in Peel.([Cited 2020 May 8]; Available from:)2020
- Facility closures and reopenings.([Cited 2020 May 6]; Available from:)2020
- Automatic external defibrillators (AED) locations. City Toronto Open Data Portal.([Cited 2020 May 2]; Available from:)2020
- COVID-19: changes to city services.([Cited 2020 May 6]; Available from:)2020