Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American Academy of Pediatrics. Technical report on prevention of drowning. Pediatrics. www.pediatrics.org [accessed 24 July, 2010], published online May 24, 2010.
- World report on child injury prevention.WHO/UNICEF, Geneva2008 (59–77)
- Open water guidelines.International Task Force on Open Water Drowning Prevention, Seattle2009
- Childhood drowning is a global concern.Br Med J. 2002; 324: 1049-1050
Centres for Disease Control and Prevention CDC. Water-related injuries: fact sheet; 2009 http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Water-Safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.htm. [accessed 18 June, 2010].
- Drowning update 2009.Anesthesiology. 2009; 110: 1390-1441
- The changing risks of drowning for adolescents in the U.S. and effective control strategies.Adolesc Med: State Art Rev. 1995; 6: 153-169
- Drowning in childhood and adolescence: a population-based study.Am J Public Health. 1987; 77: 830-832
- Prospective decade-long, population-based study of pediatric drowning-related incidents.Ann Emerg Med. 2002; 9: 516-517
- Effect of immediate resuscitation on children with submersion injury.Pediatrics. 1994; 94: 137-142
- Drowning and near-drowning—some lessons learned.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1999; 28: 183-188
- Bystander basic life support: An important link in the chain of survival for children suffering a drowning or near-drowning episode.Med J Aust. 2008; 188: 484-485
- Quality and efficiency of bystander CPR. Belgian cerebral resuscitation study group.Resuscitation. 1993; 26: 47-52
- The role of bystanders during rescue and resuscitation of drowning victims.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 414-439
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest due to drowning: an Utstein Style report of 10 years of experience from St. Mary's Hospital.Resuscitation. 2009; 80: 778-783
- A prospective, population-based study of the demographics, epidemiology, management, and outcome of out-of-hospital pediatric cardio-pulmonary arrest.Ann Emerg Med. 1999; 33: 174-184
- The critical role of lay persons and their actions in drowning incidents.in: Bierens J.J.L.M. Handbook on drowning—prevention, rescue, treatment. Heidelberg, Springer2006: 323-327
- Will they sink or swim? New Zealand youth water safety knowledge and skills.Int J Aquat Res Educ. 2008; 2: 114-127
- Resuscitation teaching in New Zealand schools.NZ Med J. 2003; 116: 582
- Knowledge and attitudes towards cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the community.NZ Med J. 2004; 117: 868
- Risk factors for drowning and near-drowning among children in Hillsborough County, Florida.Public Health Rep. 1993; 108: 346-353
- Emergencies in the school setting: are public school teachers adequately trained to respond?.Prehosp Disaster Med. 1994; 9: 222-225
- The need for wider dissemination of CPR skills: are schools the answer?.Resuscitation. 1994; 28: 233-237
- Teaching schoolchildren cardiopulmonary resuscitation.Resuscitation. 1996; 31: 33-38
- The teaching of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in schools in Hampshire.Resuscitation. 1997; 35: 27-31
- ILCOR consensus on science and treatment recommendations.Resuscitation. 2005; 67: 157-341
- New changes to resuscitation guidelines.Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne2006 (http://www.resus.org.au [accessed July 11 2010])
- Why are most drowning victims men? Sex differences in aquatic skills and behaviors.Am J Public Health. 1996; 86: 93-96
- New Zealand beachgoers’ swimming behaviors, swimming abilities and perception of drowning risk.Int J Aquat Res Edu. 2008; 2: 7-15
- Taking a risk perceptions approach to improving beach swimming safety.Int J Behav Med. 2009; 16: 360-366
- The validity of self-reported behavioral risk factors.J Trauma. 1992; 32: 58-59
☆A Spanish translated version of the summary of this article appears as Appendix in the final online version at doi:10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.12.019.