It is difficult to imagine modern cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) without using electric defibrillation as its principal component. Our knowledge of the ventricular fibrillation (VF) mechanism and possibilities of practical application electric defibrillation today is expanding from the introduction of automated external defibrillators (AED) and automated implantable cardiovertor defibrillators (AICD) to the fundamental investigation of chaotic properties of VF as complex nonlinear systems. But such outstanding investigators as PC Abilgaard, JL McWilliam, JL Prevost, F Batelli, CJ Wiggers, CS Beck, P Zoll, WB Kouwenhoven, AN Diack, A Winfree, VI Krinsky and B Lown were the first to study VF and create electric defibrillation methods. Among them a special place belongs to the Russian scientist Naum Lasarevich Gurvich (Figure 1).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Resuscitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Negovsky VA, Bogushevich MS, Gurvich NL. Founder of theory of fibrillation and defibrillation of the heart. In: Moroz V, editor. Fundamental problems of reanimatology, vol. 2. Moscow; 2001. p. 3–16 [book in Russian].
- Restoration of regular rhythm in the mammalian fibrillating heart.Bull Exp Biol Med. 1939; 8: 55-58
- Am Rev Sov Med. 1946; 3 ([translated]): 236-239
- About restoration of normal rhythm in the fibrillating heart by a capacitor discharge.Bull Exp Biol Med. 1939; 8 ([in Russian]): 54-58
- Dependence of threshold size of tension and capacity of capacitor discharges on halting fibrillation of heart.Bull Exp Biol Med. 1943; 16 ([in Russian]): 66-69
- Stopping fibrillation by the repeated capacitor discharge of threshold force.Bull Exp Biol Med. 1945; 20 ([in Russian]): 55-56
- Restoration of regular rhythm in heart with prolonged fibrillation.Bull Exp Biol Med. 1947; 23 ([in Russian]): 28-32
- Restoration of heart rhythm during fibrillation by a condenser discharge.Am Rev Sov Med. 1947; 4: 252-256
- Old and always new problems of reanimatology.Anesthesiol Reanimatol. 1996; 5 ([in Russian]): 4-9
- Fibrillation and defibrillation of heart.Medgis, Moscow1957 ([book in Russian])
- Optimum electric impulses at defibrillation.in: Negovsky V.A. Actual questions of reanimatology and hypothermia. Medicina, Moscow1964: 14-15 ([book in Russian])
- Never quite there: a tale of resuscitation medicine.Resuscitation. 2004; 60: 3-11
- Kouwenhoven, Jude and Knickerbocker the introduction of defibrillation and external chest compressions into modern resuscitation.Resuscitation. 2005; 64: 139-143
- Defibrillation of heart by the biphasic waveform.Cardiology. 1967; 7 ([in Russian]): 109-112
- Defibrillation of heart by the biphasic waveform in experiment and clinics.Cardiology. 1971; 8 ([in Russian]): 126-130
- The main principles of cardiac defibrillation.Medicina, Moscow1975 ([book in Russian])
Accepted: May 16, 2006
Received in revised form: May 16, 2006
Received: May 16, 2006
© 2006 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.