Materials and methods
- European resuscitation council guidelines for resuscitation 2010 section 1. Executive summary.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 1219-1276
- European resuscitation council guidelines for resuscitation 2010 section 2. Adult basic life support and use of automated external defibrillators.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 1277-1292
- Cardiac arrest in private locations: different strategies are needed to improve outcome.Resuscitation. 2003; 58: 171-176
- Analysis of reasons for emergency call delays in Japan in relation to location: high incidence of correctable causes and the impact of delays on patient outcomes.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 1492-1498
- Ventricular tachyarrhythmias after cardiac arrest in public versus at home.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 313-321
- Differences between out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in residential and public locations and implications for public-access defibrillation.Circulation. 2010; 122: 623-630
- Household projections by prefecture in Japan: 2005–2030 outline of results and methods.Jpn J Popul. 2011; 9: 78-133
World Population Prospects, the 2010 Revision. Table 4: selected demographic indicators: population ageing; 2010. http://esa.un.org/wpp/Sorting-Tables/tab-sorting_ageing.htm [accessed 20.02.12].
The Statistics Bureau Home Page. Statistical handbook of Japan: Chapter 2 population. http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/handbook/c02cont.htm#cha2 [accessed 20.02.12].
- Differential effects of ageing and previous training experience on attitude towards basic life support.Resuscitation. 2011; 82: 577-583
- Factors associated with CPR certification within an elderly community.Resuscitation. 2001; 51: 269-274
- Public perception of and willingness to perform bystander CPR in Japan.Resuscitation. 2008; 79: 475-481
The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/general/seido/kousei/i-kenkyu/index.html [accessed 20.02.12].
- Tracheal intubation by paramedics under limited indication criteria may improve the short-term outcome of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests with noncardiac origin.J Anesth. 2010; 24: 716-725
- Recommended guidelines for uniform reporting of data from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: the ‘Utstein style’. Prepared by a task force of representatives from the European Resuscitation Council, American Heart Association, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, Australian Resuscitation Council.Resuscitation. 1991; 22: 1-26
- Cardiac arrest and cardiopulmonary resuscitation outcome reports: update and simplification of the Utstein templates for resuscitation registries: a statement for healthcare professionals from a task force of the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (American Heart Association, European Resuscitation Council, Australian Resuscitation Council, New Zealand Resuscitation Council, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, Inter American Heart Foundation, Resuscitation Councils of Southern Africa).Resuscitation. 2004; 63: 233-249
- Assessment of outcome after severe brain damage.Lancet. 1975; 1: 480-484
- Association between Cerebral Performance Category, Modified Rankin Scale, and discharge disposition after cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2011; 82: 1036-1040
Fire and Disaster Management Agency. http://www.fdma.go.jp/html/intro/form/kyuu.html [accessed 20.02.12].
Japanese Red Cross Society. http://www.jrc.or.jp/english/activity/safety.html [accessed 20.02.12].
National Police Agency. http://www.npa.go.jp/toukei/menkyo/menkyo13/h22_main.pdf [accessed 20.02.12].
- The effects of the new CPR guideline on attitude toward basic life support in Japan.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 562-567
- Trials of teaching methods in basic life support (4): comparison of simulated CPR performance at unannounced home testing after conventional or staged training.Resuscitation. 2004; 61: 41-47
American Heart Association: Heartsaver CPR AED-Classroom. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/WorkplaceTraining/HeartsaverCourses/Heartsaver-CPR-AED---Classroom_UCM_303776_Article.jsp [accessed 20.02.12].
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/za/0825/c05/pdf/21010210.pdf [accessed 20.02.12].
Fire and Disaster Management Agency. http://www.fdma.go.jp/html/hakusho/h19/h19/html/j2422000.html [accessed 20.02.12].
- Bystander intervention in emergencies: diffusion of responsibility.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1968; 8: 377-383
- Husbands and wives living in nuclear and stem family households in Japan.Sociol Perspect. 1990; 33: 397-417
The Heartbeat of the Nation: the UK's community first responder web site. http://www.respondersuk.org/ [accessed 20.02.12].
- Mobile phone technology identifies and recruits trained citizens to perform CPR on out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims prior to ambulance arrival.Resuscitation. 2011; 82: 1514-1518
☆A Spanish translated version of the summary of this article appears as Appendix in the final online version at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2012.05.026.